Saturday, June 5, 2010

5/1-2 - Boston

At the beginning of May I went on a trip to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston with school. On the way, we stopped at a rest stop. This sculpture was in the eating area. Perhaps in this photo, it doesn't look as horrendous as it did in person, which you, dear reader, should feel thankful about. Jim, of course, thoroughly enjoyed the sculpture, wanted to have his picture taken with it, and refused to leave it when it was time to board the bus to continue our journey. Jim should consider himself lucky that he is very small and easy to out-muscle, or he would have been left eating McDonald's scraps for the rest of his time on Earth.

Thankfully, Jim's taste in art evolved a bit as the trip went on. The group stopped, on the way to Boston, at the Worchester Museum of Art, where he asked to have his picture taken with this piece by French painter Julien Dupres of a peasant girl feeding chickens. It really is lovely. Jim commented on the calm colors and the softness of the brush strokes. He said that he wanted to be like Mary Poppins and hop right into the painting so he could help with the chores. He also
said he could almost hear the chickens clucking. I couldn't agree with him more.

In the courtyard at the museum, we came across this huge ball that looked like it had been recently rolled off the set of a futuristic
sci-fi apocalyptic movie. Very cool.

Below is another picture taken in the Worchester Museum. For a small collection, the really did have some great little oils.

When we got to Boston, Jim was starving (or at least complaining profusely that he was starving, whithering away to nothing, that he would be mere pocket lint in a few moments - high drama), so we went straight to the Cheesecake Factory. Of course, we had to wait 45 minutes to be seated, during which time my classmates found some good souvenirs and I scoped out a fountain that
had serious run-through potential. Long story (besides, this blog is about Jim, and he did not run through the fountain, so I will refrain from writing about how refreshingly cool the water was, and how amazingly soaked I was after, and how I left a small rivulet of water down the aisle of the bus...yup, not gonna say a thing).

These are, sadly, all the pictures from Boston. My camera died in the Museum of Fine Art before I had a chance to get a good picture of Jim there. He was very disgruntled, but he'll get over it. I did, after all, let him have some of my delicious chocolate mousse cheesecake. I will say this, though - it is an amazing museum and Jim enjoyed himself thoroughly. As I'm trying writing this blog, he is attempting to carry on an intellectual conversation with me about art, evidence of his recent educational experience. When I reminded him of the rest stop sculpture, and his profound love of it at the beginning of the trip, he said I must have been mistaken. I'm glad there's a picture in existence that reminds us all of the truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment